General Tenancy Info

General Advice
We want to find you a home. At My Property Shop our dedicated team is focused on finding you a property. All of our properties can be seen on our website or please contact our office to register on our prospective tenant database with weekly updates. Just email: [email protected]

Once you have found the home
It is essential that each person who wishes to reside in the property complete an application form in full. (See our application form available on our website). Ensure you have witnessed the lease agreement for that particular property – this will be available when you inspect the property. If you haven’t witnessed the lease please contact our office to do so.

Securing your Tenancy
Once the application has been approved, you will need to come into the office within 24 hours and sign your tenancy agreement as well as pay your first two weeks rent. This money needs to be in cleared funds paid direct to My Property Shop Trust Account via internet bank transfer or bank deposit. Prior to moving in you will be required to pay a full bond of 4 times the weekly rental (paid in the same method as your first two weeks rent).

Electricity, Gas and Telephone
It is your responsibility to have all services at the property placed in your name and to arrange a final meter reading prior to vacating. Contact numbers for these services are:

  • Energex 131 253
  • Telstra 132 200
  • Origin Energy 132 461
  • Optus 133 345

Condition Report
This is a very important form when you are moving into a rental property. It must be filled out by both the tenant and agent to ensure both parties agree to the condition of the property. Please return the completed condition report to us within 3 days of moving in.

Only the people originally included on your application and approved by the owner are allowed to reside at the property permanently. If a new tenant wishes to replace an existing tenant or be added to the lease, they are required to go through the same tenant approval process. Tenancy applications forms are available from our website, please have them fill this out and submit to our office. They are fully subject to the owner’s decision to approve or decline.

Repairs and requests
We ask that you report any matters requiring repairs or requests immediately to avoid the risk of injury to visitors or damage to the rented property. Notification of any maintenance needs to be in writing. Any maintenance problem arranged by the tenant outside our normal business hours will be at the tenant’s cost unless it is proven to be an emergency. Please complete the repair request form found on our website to report a maintenance problem.

Contents Insurance
Please be aware that the lessor’s property insurance does not cover your personal belongings and it is in your interest to obtain contents insurance in case of damage or theft. Please speak to your Property Manager for further information.

Paintwork on walls
The tenant agrees that no nails, screws, hooks, blue tack, sticky tape or tacks are to be fixed to the walls without the written permission of the Agent. It is our experience that when these are removed, paint and plaster damage occurs and the tenant will be held responsible.

Unless a pet is specifically approved on your lease, pets will not be allowed at the property without prior approval. Please note that in the majority of unit complexes the Body Corporate do not allow pets.

As stated in your Tenancy Agreement, you are responsible for the lawns and gardens unless specified beforehand. This means watering, weeding, trimming and mowing. Seek advice from your property manager before removing any plants or pruning large bushes/trees, and take note of relevant water restrictions. We are happy to recommend a garden maintenance tradesperson if you would like to accept responsibility for costs.

Routine Inspections
We carry out routine inspections on all our properties every four months and will advise you in writing prior to the inspection date. The inspections are always a good opportunity to point out any maintenance problems or other concerns you may have. Repair request forms are available from either your property manager or can be downloaded from our web site. If you are not present, we will access the property with our spare keys.

Breaking of tenancy agreement
If circumstances occur where you need to break your tenancy agreement the following conditions will apply:

  • The tenant is responsible for and must pay rent until the property is re-let to a suitable tenant through our normal office procedures for re-letting; or until the end of the tenancy agreement, whichever is the sooner.
  • The tenant must pay for reasonable re-letting fees being equal to the first weeks rent + GST. The tenant must also pay advertising money in advance of advertising being placed by our office.
  • It is best to upfront with your property manager and give as much notice as possible.

Giving Notice
The tenant agrees that when giving notice it must be in writing on the prescribed form (RTA Form 13 – Notice of Intention to Vacate) and handed or faxed to our office. Two weeks written notice is required.

Property for sale
If during your tenancy the property goes up for sale, you will be advised accordingly. If you are under a fixed term lease, you remain in the property for the term of the lease. If you are on a periodic tenancy (month to month), the Lessor must give you four (4) weeks’ notice to vacate the property once the property has been sold.

We keep a spare set of keys in the office. Should you have lost your keys or have locked yourself out and you require access be provided by My Property Shop, you will be charged a $50 call out fee if it is outside office hours. If it is during office hours and the keys are available you can drop into our office and use our set free of charge.

For further advice we recommend contacting the below tenancy services and authorities.

Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA)
Phone:1300 366 311

Tenant Advice and Advocacy Services Queensland (TAASQ)
Phone:(07) 5428 6011